Friday, April 26, 2013

Madeleine + Sugar = not again anytime soon


here's how I finally let Madeleine try honest to god sugar for the first time (and why I won't be that stupid in the near future)...
not Madeleine

Today for lunch we three were in town (montpelier) and decided to get some Thai food for lunch.  There is a phenomenal smelling sort of hole-in-the-wall place that always serves just 2 or 3 dishes they have previously made in big batches.  I have stopped in many times but have been told that what they're serving is actually spicy.  I was a little worried as a nursing mom, and a little worried today as I wasn't sure what to feed her that wouldn't get her eyes watering, but mostly, I just don't like eating spicy foods.
It's not fun for me to sit there with my mouth tingling in an incredibly painful way while my eyes water and my nose runs and i can't really taste what I'm chewing b/c all I can taste is burning.

I know many people/cultures like spicy foods, but the appeal is a mystery to me.
But Zack really wanted to eat there, so I said fine.  Also, they had rice and spring rolls so there was stuff for Madeleine to eat.
fast-forward 20 minutes and I've used all the napkins to blow my nose and my lips feel twice their normal size.  I will say this: the food was incredibly good!  But I was sort of reminded of being in labor with how the world just kind of telescoped down to the fact that my mouth was burning.

now in perhaps the most genius placement moves in the history of all business, there is a gelato place right next door.
this is the gelato place on State street
I am not really a gelato fan (why eat anything else when Cold Stone and Ben & Jerry's exist??) but i had one new imperative: dear sweet baby jesus help my mouth!  And I knew cold, sweet gelato was the way to go.  So we head next door (along with several other people who had just been eating at the thai spot, I'd like to add) and I order some salted caramel gelato.
so good.
so not burn-y anymore.

And I am in such a good mood since my mouth has stopped tormenting me, and I'm holding sweet baby in my arms, I think "you know, I bet she'd love this" and I give her a taste.
it will probably not surprise anyone in the universe that Madeleine did, in fact, love the gelato.  And want more.  I gave her a little more.  And Zack, who had tried the lemon ricotta gelato gave madeleine his sample.  And she loved that too.

fast forward 3 minutes.
also not Madeleine, but close enough in spirit to her little sugar rush
suddenly Madeleine was just off the walls.  Wired.  Loud.  bouncy.  Manic.  I just looked at Zack and said "this is why I don't want her eating sugar." and shook my head until she crashed.

but it was fun :)





No comments:

Post a Comment