Monday, February 18, 2013

Family Meeting #3


One thing that became clear over the course of last week is that I have more on my to-do lists (roadmaps, whatever) than can possibly be accomplished.  At first this was upsetting, but the more I thought about it the more I was ok with it: I don't really have a sense of just how much I can get done in a week as a mom (as a mom with a co-parent; before Zack was here I could get very little done).  So I will keep piling up my agenda until I get a sense of just how much I am able to do in this post-apocalyptic land called motherhood (a happy apocalypse).

I still haven't made it onto the treadmill but I am feeling like it's probably a good thing (and not just because it's often below zero in that room in the winter).  I HAVE been doing my stretch routine 5 nights a week and I can feel my body wake up and limber out.  Already!  I think it's probably good that I do this for awhile before adding something new to the routine.  Hoping to get the 5 applications I have on my list in this week, then email and call local/DC schools next week and then start jogging again the first full week of March.

Let's keep fingers crossed on this one!!

I'm also liking how focused this is making the two of us.  It's not just this spinning vortex of "WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING!!! WHY IS NOTHING EVER GETTING DONE BUT THE DISHES????" many of our conversations are about all the things we're doing for our roadmaps.  Last week I wanted to save what I was finding/seeing/doing for the family meeting, but now I think "hey I want to talk about this now!" plus the meetings keep being twice as long as they're "supposed" to be.  Maybe if we're talking about it during the week it won't last as long on the weekends.

Ok.  Enough describing, back to doing!
(ps. Here's this week:)

Family Meeting #3 (2.17.2013)
  • Start: 4:11
  • Appreciations
    •  didn't write them down, but it was a good conversation.  We kept getting side-tracked into talking about other things, but in a way this felt like the realest conversation we had all week
  • Contributions
    • We need to get a dry-erase board just to keep the weekly schedule clear
    • Meals
      • Monday, Wednesday: Jennifer make dinner
      • Thursday, Friday: Zack make dinner (though I won't be there Friday)
      • Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday: leftovers or meals w/ the grandparents
  • Schedule activities
  • this is a bridesmaid paintball party (wear the worst dress and shoot it out.  brilliant but perhaps for another time
    • Madeleine's first birthday party
      • We decided that the weekend after her birthday is a better time to have the party
      • This week we will look up themes and ideas for the party
      • Want to invite lots of people, even from far away if they could possibly come, so, if you're reading this: you're totally invited :)
    • Trip to the library?
      • Tuesday afternoon
      • Remember: there will be fines so bring some cash
  • Life Insurance
    • We both looked up rates online
    • We can't really afford to get this until we have jobs
    • My rates are substantially lower if I get back to my pre-pregnancy weight
    • Goal: by the end of summer get insurance
    • Side note: I know he's younger than me, but his rates are hella-cheap!
  • Mission Statement
    • My three values
      • Caring/kindness/love
      • Determination
      • Honor
    • Zack's three values
      • Detachment
      • Steadfastness
      • Tact
    • Zack misunderstood.  When I said the three most important values to you, he thought the three he should most be focused on/working on.  He's taking another week to think about what values should be at the center of the family, which is fine b/c I need to take some time to re-read the chapter on making the family mission statement in Duct Tape Parenting
  • Meals
    • More veggies
    • Eat what's in the fridge/pantry before it turns
    • Eat cheaper
      • If organic meats are too expensive, don't eat meat!  Do not compromise by buying non organic meat
    • Meat only twice a week
    • My Meals
    • lamb rogan josh
      • Lamb Rogan Josh w/  rice
      • Veggie tofu stir fry
      • Possibly the morrocan carrot salad if they email me back
    • Zack's Meals ?
  • Environmentally Sound
    • Cloth diapers w/ tax refund?
      • I'm going to do research on this this week
    • What can we focus on this week?
      • Let's pick one new thing each week to draw our focus to :)
        • Zack agrees
      • Turning off lights in empty rooms is this week's focus
      • We're both supposed to look up ways we can be greener for next week
        • Check out Al Gore's an inconvenient truth website
  • Schedule
    • Mon: Grocery shopping/J make dinner
    • Tue: J therapy also call student loan people and cat vet while in signal area/library trip
    • Wed: J teach voice/game night (thermonuclear holocaust?)
    • Thur: J chiro/U32
    • Fri: J work U32/Girls night out
  • Volunteer
    • The valentines were really fun, what's something else we can do?
    • Research volunteer activities in the area?
  • Entertainment
    • One night this week not watching videos
      • Then do what?
        • Games night :)
    • Oscars in a week
      • Really want to see LINCOLN and FLIGHT beforehand, other oscar nominees as well
      • Netflix is lined up to send me what's available
  • Miscellaneous
    • When you shave/brush teeth you must clean out the sink afterwards
  • Close of family meeting #3: 4:56pm

Jennifer's Road Map
  • Parenting
    • Re-read chapter on how to create a family mission statement in Duct Tape Parenting
  • Get in Shape
    • Stretch five times this week (  )
    • Get on the treadmill once
    • Read 30 pages in the baby belly book
    • BAKS
      • Write them out on a cheat sheet
      • Add more of them to each stretch routine
  • Find a job
    • Submit 5 applications ( )
      • Trinidad y Tobago
      • Wilmington
      • Auburn
      • Jacksonville State
      • Western Illinois
  • Write in Blog
    • Family meeting #3
    • One other 
  • Read
    • Bringing Up Bebe (read more)
    • 30 pages in Belly Book
    • Chapter in Sears sleep book 
  • Physical/Mental Well being
    • Chiropractic
    • Acupuncture (sugar help)
    • Sugar
      • Write about it
      • Pick a stop date (2.26.13-3.26.13)
    • Phone/skype date with one of your major loved ones (Lisa)
    • Play date w/ one of the moms
    • Girls night out 2.22.13
  • Solvency
    • Taxes
    • Talk to student loan people (before they send someone to break my legs)
    • More studentts
  • Spanish
    • Get books in Spanish from library (for Bee)(but I've been learning from those as well)
  • Travel
  • Environmentally sound
    • Research things we can do to be greener
    • Focus this week on the lights being turned off when we leave a room
    • Look into cloth diapers
  • Volunteer
    • Research volunteer opportunities in the area
  • Politically active
  • Miscellaneous
    • Write up Madeleine's various schedules so others can follow them
    • Get large dry erase board to keep weekly schedule clear
    • Call vet to make an appointment for Auschwitz cat
    • Get car started (battery)
    • Send Zack substitute teaching application form again


No comments:

Post a Comment